C is a middle level programming language. It is developed by Dennis Ritchie at Bell Labs in the 1970. C Develop for use with the UNIX operating system.C was designed for implementing system software; it is also widely used for developing portable application software. It is widely used on many different software platforms, and there are few computer architectures for which a C Compiler does not exist.
C has greatly influenced many other popular programming languages, most notably C++, which originally began as an extension to C.C is one of the most popular programming languages of all time. C is also called about Mother Language.
Features of C language
- It is a robust language with rich set of built-in functions and operators that can be used to write any complex program.
- The C compiler combines the capabilities of an assembly language with features of a high-level language.
- Programs Written in C are efficient and fast. This is due to its variety of data type and powerful operators.
- It is many time faster than BASIC.
- C is highly portable this means that programs once written can be run on another machines with little or no modification.
- Another important feature of C program, is its ability to extend itself.
- A C program is basically a collection of functions that are supported by C library. We can also create our own function and add it to C library.
- C language is the most widely used language in operating systems and embedded system development today.