How to Install Ubuntu Touch on your Nexus device?
Ubuntu Phone developer preview is now out for download, and the Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 or Nexus 10 users can now flash or install the new build onto their devices.
The Next SEO now brings you the complete guide to install Ubuntu Touch developer preview onto your Nexus devices. Let’s now get started:
Install Ubuntu Developer on Nexus 4 or Nexus 7 or Nexus 10:
Note: Ubuntu Touch is a developer preview and there might be a lot of bugs. It is highly advised to install the build in your spare Nexus device rather than your daily use device.
Remember: Also remember that you’ll need a Ubuntu machine to install the Ubuntu Phone onto your Nexus device.
Ubuntu Touch supports the following devices currently. So please do not try to flash any other device with the build:
Now, Let me install:
The steps are going to be pretty simple. All you need to do is just follow the below mentioned steps and you’re good to go!
Setup Ubuntu Developer PPA on your machine:
These are the tools that has to be setup on your machine, to install the Ubuntu Touch preview on your Nexus device. To do that, just run the following commands in terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:phablet-team/tools sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install phablet-tools android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot
Once you’re done installing the PPA onto your Computer, the next step would be to unlock the bootloader.
Unlocking the Bootloader on your Nexus:
Note: This is applicable only if your device is locked by the carrier. If you’ve a unlocked device, just skip this step.
Let’s now look at how to unlock your Bootloader:
- Power off your device and Power it back on by holding down the Power button + Volume Up Button + Volume Down button.
- Now, the Nexus would boot into the bootloader
- Connect the device with your computer via USB
- Open Terminal and type the following code:
sudo fastboot oem unlock
- Now, Accept Terms of Unlocking on the devices’ screen.
- Boot your Nexus device as you’d boot everyday.
- Unplug the device from the computer.
And boom, your bootloader is now unlocked and you’re all set to install the Ubuntu Touch preview.
Setting up the device for Ubuntu Touch:
Note: Please read the below steps carefully. And follow them step by step.
- Boot your device normally (Ubuntu is still not on your phone. It would boot normally into Android)
- Now, Enable USB Debugging on your device (Settings > System > Developer Options > USB Debugging)
- Plug in your device into the USB port of your Ubuntu Machine
- Now, Save the current setup of your device onto your Ubuntu Machine. (A popup would appear. And after that, save the current build in your machine. Just incase you would want to restore to Android)
Installing Ubuntu onto your Nexus:
Note: Please make sure that your device is all charged up and also, you have got sufficient battery life on your Laptop. This is just to be on the safer side, since this involved bootroms, and flashing.
- Fireup Terminal and execute the following command:
- Once the installation is done, the device would boot into the Ubuntu Shell, and that would welcome you to the new Ubuntu Phone.
Its pretty simple right? Now, coming up next would be to restore Android back on your Ubuntu Touch preview device.